Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Plans for WWKW 2009

World Wide KAP Week 2009 is two days away, slated to start Friday, 24 April, 2009, and extend through 5 May, 2009. My own planning started months ago when the dates were first announced, but as things are getting closer, plans that were once vague maybes are firming up into certainties.

Gear -

I've made a number of changes to my gear, and added some new things to the bag:

4x5 - Lots of changes since the last WWKW, but nothing new in months. All my film holders are loaded, so it's a matter of bringing it everywhere I go, and hoping for dead smooth wind. Maybe also bring some counterweights to try to damp down the remaining vibrations.

Archaeo - I've got a new rig this year that's all ready to go: my ortho-only archaeology rig. This is the rig I also plan to use for garden photography, so that may be where I use it during WWKW 2009.

RC Rig - I've changed out my radio to a 2.4GHz Turborix radio, and added a prototype for an AutoKAP controller that's now under development. Both will get field time this year. I'm also adding a folding Picavet to make packing my rig into my bag even easier.

Anemometer - I bought an anemometer from one of my print sales, so I can keep better track of the conditions in the field, and go back later to compare with the wind models.

Winder - My new winder is now a thoroughly tested and battle-scarred denizen of my KAP bag, and will be my primary winder for the duration.

Locations -

Kohala:
  • Pu`ukohola Heiau
  • Spencer Beach Park (New)
  • Kawaihae Canoe Club (New)
  • Archaeological Sites along the Kohala coast
  • Lapakahi Historical Monument (New)
  • Mahukona + Lighthouse (New)
  • Decay north of Mahukona Park (New)
  • Mo`okini Heiau
  • King Kamehameha's Birthplace
  • Wind Farm (New)
  • Lighthouse
  • Pololu Valley
  • Next valley over (New)
  • Kohala Architecture & Sugar Camps (New)
Kona:
  • Hapuna (New)
  • Beach 69
  • Petroglyphs at Puako (New from kite)
  • Anaeho`omalu Bay
  • King's Trail Petroglyphs at Anaeo`omalu Bay (New)
  • Scoria Abrader Quarries at Waikoloa
  • Waikoloa Beach Resorts (New)
  • Beach Without a Name
  • Wainanali`i Pond and Kiholo Bay
  • Kua Bay
  • Anchialine Ponds along Kona Coast (New)
  • Puako Tide Pools (New)
  • Pu`u Waawaa
Hamakua:
  • Waipi'o Valley
  • Akaka Falls (New)
  • Old trestles on the Hamakua Coast (New)
  • Gulch bridges on the Hamakua Coast (New)
  • Laupahoehoe Point (New)
  • Kalopa (New) (MAYBE)
  • Boiling Pots / Rainbow Falls (New)
  • One of the beach parks, but this is tough (New)
Waimea / Central:
  • Various sites in Waimea
  • Mana Road
  • Whistling Canyon (New)
  • Waimea Resevoirs (New)
  • Head of Waipi`o Valley (New)
Mauna Kea:
  • Mauna Kea Summit (New - Heiau has fallen over)
  • Lake Waiau (New)
  • Adze Quarry (New)
  • Cinder Cone Edge (New)
  • Domes & Dishes
Saddle Road:
  • Pu'u O'o Kipuka Trail (New)
  • Pu`u Huluhulu
  • Hunter's Cabin (New)
  • Silverswords on R14 (New)
  • Pu`u near Kilohana Check-In (New)
South Point:
  • South Point
  • Green Sand Beach (New)
  • Whittington Park
  • Across the bay from Place of Refuge (New)
  • Kealakekua Bay at Captain Cook's Monument (New)
  • HOVE - Road to the Sea, turn north (New)
  • Na`alehu (New)
Puna:
  • Kapoho Tide Pools (New)
  • Kalapana
  • Hike to Pu`u O`o ? (New)
Volcano NP - Contingent on permission from NP Director:
  • Ka`u Desert Trail; Footprints in Lava *
  • Chain of Craters Road Trail *
  • Great Rift? * (This may be hard to get to)

Goals -

I want to fly in new locations, most specifically on the south side of the island. There really is architecture down there, along with the Kapoho tide pools, sites inside and outside of Volcano, Green Sand Beach, and a couple of archaeological sites.

I'd like to fly some of the less-likely locations for Hawaii. I've done tons of beaches. I want to show off cattle country, desert country, volcano country, etc. There's more to Hawaii than beaches. Besides, this is a vitally important component of the book I'd like to do later in the year of low altitude aerials of Hawaii.

I want to take some 4x5 photos from the air. I'd really like at least one rock solid image I can print at wall mural size. If I can get a couple of solid ones, I'll be happy as can be.

Mostly I want to have fun, knowing that all over the world people will be flying cameras on kites anywhere and everywhere they are, and sharing what they see. I was blown away by the output for WWKW 2008. I can't wait to see what happens for WWKW 2009!

-- Tom

No comments: